Natural Choice Nurseries aims to provide an environment in which children can develop to their full potential. We use government recommended ways to provide activities for all age groups that are appropriate and make the learning experience an enjoyable one for the children.
We follow the Early Years Foundation stage (EYFS)
The EYFS Framework explains how and what your child will be learning to support their healthy development.
Your child will be learning skills, acquiring new knowledge and demonstrating their understanding through 7 areas of learning and development. These 7 areas are used to plan your child’s learning and activities. The professionals teaching and supporting your child will make sure that the activities are suited to your child’s unique needs. This is a little bit like a curriculum in primary and secondary schools, but it’s suitable for very young children, and it’s designed to be really flexible so that staff can follow your child’s unique needs and interests.
Children should mostly develop the 3 prime areas first. These are:
- Communication and language;
- Physical development; and
- Personal, social and emotional development.
These prime areas are those most essential for your child’s healthy development and future learning.
As children grow, the prime areas will help them to develop skills in 4 specific areas. These are:
- Understanding the world; and
- Expressive arts and design.
The Characteristics of effective learning are:
- Playing and Exploring – engagement
- Active learning – motivation
- Creating and thinking critically – thinking
Children in the EYFS learn by playing and exploring, being active, and through creative and critical thinking which takes place both indoors and outside.
How we achieve this for all children aged 0-5yrs:
- We prepare activities and experiences based solely on the individual child’s interests, development and needs.
- We allow staff time to innovate and research activities, ensuring both staff and children enjoy themselves.
- We keep records of each child’s progress, through the child’s learning journal. This chronologically records the child’s development with us through the time they start till the time they go to school.
- These learning journals are free to the parents to look at whenever they wish, and we hold a 6 monthly parents evening where parents are shown the journals and explained in greater detail about the information inside of them.
- We measure each child’s development & celebrate their successes every 4 months on a form designed by Natural Choice incorporating the child’s level of development for their age range. Each group 0-2yrs, 2-3yrs and 3-5yrs have their own specifically designed forms to monitor the child’s learning and development.
- We ask for parental involvement to support some of the activities by helping in sessions, bringing in materials and other items connected with the planned activities/experiences.
- We ask parents to become involved in the children’s learning and to help us plan more effectively for the children within our care, through a range of different activities.
- We ensure the planned activities fulfil the needs of the curriculum on a weekly basis
- We recognise all children are individuals and tailor as necessary to meet the needs of all our children